Monday 11 October 2010

The difference between being inspired by a design and making a replica

Day 24 - A picture of what you did today

Just writing notes for tomorrow and keeping on top of the housework...
I always get questions like that on days I'm doing boring stuff *le sigh*

Onto the topic at hand.
I am not a fan of replicas, I make no secret of this. I am not a brand whore, I am not an elitist and I don't have a problem with the people that wear replicas, it's the companies that rip off other people's hard work and have no originality of their own I have a problem with.
Personally I don't have a problem with people being inspired by other people's designs, everybody is inspired by something before them, it is he same in all art, not just fashion and textile design.
Often in discussions about replica's (such as in Lolita_secrets last week), a Rose Melody dress is brought up:

Supposedly it's a replica of this:

Here's a clearer photo of the Rose Melody one:



Sometimes it's a bit of a grey area as to what is and isn't a replica but in my opinion, this isn't a replica of the Moite dress, yes I do believe Rose Melody took inspiration from Moitie, but no more so than companies we think of as being brand have taken been inspired by eachother in the past.
Take for example this print by Metamorphose:


It's very pretty and I want it very much. I don't see it as a replica, but I do see it as being inspired by this Alice and the Pirates print:



Also beautiful, also on my wishlist, although that also reminds me of this Moi Meme Moitie print:


One of my dream prints, right there *le sigh*
And who can forget all the bunnies, carousel horses and deer the Sweet Lolitas have had in recent years?
It's not just in Lolita that this happens, this is the way the entire fashion industry itself works.
Because I figure you don't want a giant essay on the fashion industry I'll simplify it down as much as I can.
1. Fashion Forecasters Predict the next big trends.
2. The top designers, design based on these predictions.
3. Fashion shows such as London Fashion week, showcase these designs.
4. High Street Designers take their inspiration from what is showcased at Fashion shows.
5.  The "look" makes it into the High Street Stores.

The high street version is not exactly the same as the designer one.
 The nearest we have to replicas outside of the Lolita fashion scene?
The "knock offs" that are sold illegally at car boot sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Queens Of The Wild Frontier

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails