Monday 25 October 2010

Mini skirt ban?

I was browising BBC news earlier when I came across this article. 
In short the mayor of Castellammare di Stabia want's mini skirts and low rise jeans banned in his village.
Apparently he is of the opinion that this will "restore urban decorum and facilitate better civil co-existence" and  combat sexual harassment.
Forgive my bluntness, I hate looking at random people's arses to, but fining people 500 euros for wearing mini skirts and low rise jeans is not going to stop sexual harassment.
You want to stop Sexual Harassment?
Stop victim blaming, stop fining the people getting harassed and start fining the bastards doing the harassing.
I should be able to walk down a street naked if I wanted (don't worry, I won't, but technically in the UK this is perfectly legal so long as it doesn't cause anybody distress), and not have to worry about harassment.
The people being harassed are not the problem, the problem is people who need to learn to control themselves, and if they can't? 
Well then in my opinion they shouldn't be let out in public.
It doesn't matter what you wear, if someone is going to be a creeper, they're going to be a creeper regardless.
I have been harassed by people in my school uniform (my school's uniform was the most un-sexy thing ever, black trousers and a bottle green jumper), in baggy jeans, tight jeans, short medium and long skirts, one time I will never forget was when I was 15 and had the worst flu ever, was wrapped in a giant duffle coat, wool hat and thick jeans, I looked like a multi-coloured marshmallow man, and yet some berk still told his friend I looked "do-able" as they walked past me.
Eww.
The following year I went to college dressed as Death from the Sandman, and the builders who were renovating the house up the road made lewd comments about my lipstick.
When I was 16 I had  lot of problems with my self esteem and that hurt me for weeks, it made me feel like I was the one to blame for what they'd said to me.
I wasn't, and neither is anybody who wears a mini skirt or low rise jeans and gets hassled for it.

***
Day 6: Your hair back combed

Day 7: Your hair in two English Plaits

Day 8: Your hair in wartime pincurls with a headscarf
Heh forgive me for the last one, but in order to get the curls to set properly I find doing them first thing in the morning is best :)

***

You can now become a fan of Queens of the Wild Frontier on Facebook!

***

Today's question: What is your opinion on the proposed mini skirt ban? Do you think it's a good or a bad idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Queens Of The Wild Frontier

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails