Tuesday 16 November 2010

Tuesday Tutorial- Scent your own soap


This week's tutorial is a super simple one that shouldn't take long, but will give you great smelling soap without having to break the bank.

***

At the moment I am a student, and I don't have an awful lot of money to spend on fancy soaps (I use my money on food, rent, course materials and any leftover goes into my treats pot), so I tend to buy really cheap and boring bars of plain, white soap.
I do have quite a spice rack building up so I decided to have a bit of an experiment to see what I'd get if I blended some in (please be careful to check for skin sensitivity when doing this, obviously don't go making chilli soap because, while it might smell nice chilli+private parts= major ouchies).

***

You will need

One or more bars of plain, unscented, white soap (I use Tesco "Blue Stripe" value soap)
A grater, or a magic bullet (or similar), small food processor.
Your herb of choice (I used Rosemary)
Water (how much depends on how much soap you have)
Greaseproof/Freezer paper

Method

  1. Grate into a bowl or blend the soap (if using a blender it should only take a few whizzes, you don't want soapy liquid at this point)
  2. Add in your herb a teaspoon at a time until you think you have enough and either mix with a wooden spoon or give it another whizz.
  3. Start adding in water a teaspoon at a time until it reaches a dough-like consistency.
  4. Now lay out a sheet of the greaseproof paper on a flat surface.
  5. Take your soap "dough" and mould it back into the shapes you want (if you have decora moulds you could make cookie shaped soaps if you wanted!)
  6. Leave your soaps to dry out (this may take a few days) and when they do VOILA! Cheap delicious smelling soaps!
***

Day 1: Your Favourite song.

Heh, I know, betcha didn't see that one coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Queens Of The Wild Frontier

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails