Saturday 11 May 2013

Virtual Vegan Potluck - Kiwi Upside Down Cake


Sexy cake...UNF!

I'm delighted to be a part of the third Virtual Vegan Potluck (this is my second, I participated back in November and you can find my Butternut Squash Risotto recipe here).
This time my recipe is a little sweeter, good for guilty pleasures, family dinners (with warm custard or soya cream), parties or even just afternoon tea with my fellow frillies (for anybody who isn't a regular reader and has just found this post via the potluck, I dress in Gothic Lolita, and my friends and I do enjoy dressing up in frills and having a spot of tea and cake now and then).

Please be aware this cake rises A LOT so make sure you have a big enough tin, otherwise it's weird-shaped cake ahoy!

Ingredients
(kiwi topping)
1/2 cup of Vegan Margarine
1/2 cup of sugar
2-3 firm kiwi fruit

(cake)
2+1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1+1/3 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup of strong black tea (let the bag steep for at least 10 minutes)
1 cup of soya milk
1 teaspoon of almond extract (optional)
1 large mashed banana 

The kiwi topping prior to the cake batter being added

Method

pre-heat over to 350F/ 180C/ Gas Mark 4

Peel and chop the kiwis into thin slices

On a low heat melt the margarine and sugar together in a small pan, (please don't try to do other things at this point, the first time I tried to make this cake I chopped the fruit while I was making the syrup and while my eyes were off the pan it burnt).

Pour your syrup into your cake tin (if you're using a traditional tin you'll need to grease it first but if you're using a silicone one you won't), and then evenly lay out the kiwi slices so that they cover the bottom of the tin.

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar and baking powder before slowly adding in the tea, soya milk, mashed banana and almond extract a little at a time whilst stirring to prevent lumps.

pour the cake batter into the tin on top of the kiwi and syrup mixture and then bake in the oven for 50 minutes - and hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Wait until completely cooled before turning out onto a large plate.
Enjoy!



Important note: All fixed now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Queens Of The Wild Frontier

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails