Wednesday 28 January 2015

Kiss Me Organics, Organic Matcha Review

Legal Disclaimer: These nail wraps were sent to me free for the purposes of this review. All thoughts provided are my own honest opinions.
Over the last week I have been trying out Kiss Me Organics's culinary grade, organic matcha tea powder.

This is a powdered version of green tea. I have had, and enjoyed green tea before but the green tea I have had previously was from a tea bag so I was eager to try out the powdered version.

It doesn't lie about being green!
First of all this is MUCH stronger than green tea teabags, and it is very green! Kiss Me Organics also very kindly sent me a PDF full off recipes for using the matcha, some of which I tried out and have photographed later in the review, and some of which I didn't get around to trying out before making my review but will likely try out at a later date.

The first thing I did was try a regular(ish) brew and added one teaspoon of matcha to a giant mug of boiling water. I soon discovered that this was super strong and had to add a spoon full of sugar to make it palatable for me, although I figure this is down to personal taste so YMMV.

Male Tears, now healthy and green and stuff!

The next thing I tried out was a matcha latte, for this drink I only used half a teaspoon, although the recipe calls for a full one, I personally found this much nicer and didn't have to add any sugar. The taste was still sharp but much more pleasant and it was much easier for me to drink and enjoy (and I certainly did, I have made a few lattes since!).

Next I tried a Mint Matcha Milkshake.
This was the recipe I had the least success with, I am not sure if this is down to be substituting soya milk and soya ice cream for the dairy it calls for in the PDF but I had trouble getting the matcha to dissolve properly. It still tasted really good though, so I will not be defeated, I am likely to give this another go at some point.

The next recipe I tried was something I spotted in the PDF and instantly became curious about. Matcha butter, a sweet butter good for toast, teacakes, crumpets and other sweet things made by blending together matcha, honey, cinnamon and a little salt.
While it was possibly not the most appetising looking of spreads it was very delicious and a clear favourite of the things I tried and I have eaten it on my toast every morning this week!

Next up matcha shots, I was a little suspect of shots with no alcohol in them, but I persevered... FOR SCIENCE!
On the left is an almond milk and match shot, pretty nice, I might actually have preferred this as a long drink rather than a shot as I only got to experience a brief taste of it, and on the right a matcha power boosting shot which is a mix of matcha, orange and carrot juice and wheatgrass powder, fancy and I suspect pretty healthy, but I preferred the almond one.

The final recipe I tried was a matcha madras curry, the original recpie calls for chicken, but I am a vegetarian so instead I added some chunks of fried potato.
I have to admit the idea of tea in my curry didn't seem too appealing, but when mixed in with the other herbs and spices in a madras it took on a very pleasant background sharpness that was very delicious, I actually wished I had made twice as much!

Pros
  • Makes supermarket green tea look somewhat pathetic in comparison.
  • Surprisingly versatile.
  • Very easy to use, just stir it in and you're good to go!
  • Deliciously sharp flavour.
  • Adds an impressive bright green colour to almost everything you add it too!
Cons

  • You may find you need to adjust measures as it may be a little too strong or too weak depending on preference.


This is probably one of my favourite things I have ever been sent to review, it was truly delicious and I am looking forward to trying out all of the other recipes I didn't yet get a chance to have a good at.
You can buy your own packet here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Queens Of The Wild Frontier

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails